Thursday, February 26, 2009

Angry conservative-sounding rant. Sorry, had to let it out.

I have always, always lived within my means. Saved. Made long-term investments that were supposedly prudent yet aggressive, what I was supposed to be doing as a young investor. Kept careful record of my expenses. Balanced my checkbook. Never had a balance on my credit card that wasn't paid by the due date. Made my own spending money since 10th grade. Received zero financial assistance from either of my parents after high school. Worked every summer since I was 14. I started my own business, then sold it and with the proceeds of the sale put a down payment on my home. My monthly mortgage payment does not exceed 31% of my income. I make a healthy income, but pay a healthy tax to the government. I don't receive welfare, medicare or medicaid.

And though (or maybe because) I have worked hard, lived responsibly and never felt entitled to anything I didn't earn myself...I am feeling full force the pain of the financial collapse. If things continue to get worse, I may very well have to go into foreclosure soon. And yet I am not eligible for a single item under Obama's stimulus plan or foreclosure plan.

Up until now I've believed in a system of social welfare. I've supported the notion of helping those who are less fortunate, down and out on their luck. I believe in giving people a second chance. But these days, I'm F*(&!#% fed up. THE HELL WITH THE LESS FORTUNATE PEOPLE WHO MADE STUPID, IRRESPONSIBLE FISCAL CHOICES, LIVED BEYOND THEIR MEANS AND RUINED IT FOR THE REST OF US. WHY THE FUCK DO I HAVE TO SUFFER BECAUSE OF THE COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE AND IDIOTIC MISTAKES OF THESE IMBECILES? Seriously, I don't give a SHIT. Do you deserve more welfare? Fuck no. Do you deserve more unemployment? Fuck no. Do you deserve a break on YOUR mortgage when I don't get one? Fuck no.

I'm seriously so fed up.

Fiscal irresponsibility has always, always been my #1 pet peeve. But now it should be public enemy #1.

1 comment:

adreahna said...

amen sista! i go back and forth. on one end feeling like the less fortunate deserve a break and then getting annoyed that i'm working while other people get a free ride. i know this weekend your life will change :o)