Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ramblings

Ramona really bugs me. I like the Countess even though she's pretentious and haughty. Alex and Simon are off-putting and try too hard. Simon is gay. Bethenny is refreshing with a slightly sour aftertaste, but likeable. Jill is the quintessential NY Jewish woman. I don't know about the new girl yet. The NY housewives are back!

***

I have complete writer's block these days, which I attribute to all the lemons in my life lately. Which is really a shame because if ever there was a time I should be working on that pipe dream novel of mine, it's now.

***

I recently made a list of things I want to do before I turn 30. It's a short list, ambitious yet achievable.

1. (private because I'm not sure who reads this but it's not marriage or engagement - this list only includes things I can do for myself)
2. Travel to Argentina and Chile
3. Run 5 miles at a 10 minute pace
4. Do another surf camp/lessons and catch a real wave (not whitewater)

I can't believe I'm turning 30.

***

On the subject of age, El Hombre and I went to watch "He's Just Not That Into You" over the weekend and the ticket vendor asked El Hombre if he had a student ID. I guess he looks boyish but...for real?? Even though I'm significantly younger, I felt like a cougar. It didn't help that he started calling me "Auntie" as a joke. I find the term "cougar" offensive but I realize that this sensitivity may be due to the fact that I'm at an age where I could legitimately be called one depending on the circumstances. How come we don't have the equivalent term for men who date younger women? Why is that considered normal whereas if a woman dates a guy even a year younger, she gets labeled a cougar, which sounds so...predatory? Doesn't seem right to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

huh. maybe once he realized el Hombre was old he didn't need to ask for yours?

also, huh, i didn't think that cougar meant every may/december where december was the woman. i thought it meant the predatory ones? men were cradle robbers, women sugar mamas (but that implied a relationship with one), and cougar for women who go out trolling for younger guys.

hrm, not that this makes anything better.