Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Gap Year
In Britain, many post-university students go on what is called the "Gap Year", a year of traveling or gallivanting or doing whatever it is they want to experience life before they actually join the working world. I met a lot of students on their Gap Year during my travels last year and thought it was an absolutely brilliant thing to do. You probably learn more about life, yourself and the world than you could possibly learn in four years at a prestigious center for higher learning surrounded by other privileged people just like yourself. If I have kids, as their college graduation gift I am going to give them a chunk of money and encourage them to take a year to travel before they enter the working world. If not for my mortgage, the next year or so would be a great time to take a Gap Year for myself...after all, there is still so much of the world left to see. Oh, the dilemma. When I have the money, I don't have the time. When I have the time, I don't have the money.
No comments:
Post a Comment