Friday, September 26, 2008

Random Observations

I find it interesting that in relationships involving people from different cultures, it's usually the woman who makes efforts to learn the language/culture of the man, and not vice versa. Cases in point:
  • Indonesian girl dating Taiwanese guy. The girl knows some Chinese and continues to learn more. When asked if he is also learning Bahasa Malaysia in return, he answers: "no, there's no ROI."

  • Korean girl dating Mexican guy. She is learning Spanish but to my knowledge, he's not learning Korean.

  • Vietnamese girl dating Chinese guy. She is learning Mandarin, but he's not making any effort to learn Vietnamese.

  • And my own situation of course: Korean girl dating Chinese guy - I'm starting Mandarin lessons next week.

I find this un peux disturbing and tres unequal.

***

In the last two weeks: 2 major investment banks have closed shop, a major commercial bank has been seized and a major SF law firm announced its dissolution. Good God, the sky is seriously falling. I think people would be best off hiding their money under their mattress at this point.

I find this un peux disturbing.

***

I feel like a lot of facets of my life are in limbo right now. I find this un peux disturbing.

1 comment:

AC said...

Clearly in each situation the female is dating up ...


... i kid, i kid!!