Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Holiday Advent

When I learn a new word I like to put it to use right away so that I understand how it works, how it fits into the wonderful world of words. Two new words I learned recently:

"Butterface": as in, everything but her face is hot, so she's a butterface. I simultaneously find this word amusing and appalling. When I first heard this word, I asked those around me why we don't have an equivalent word for men. I was told "because women are not as shallow as men." Yeah, that sounds about right.

"Advent": arrival that has been awaited. I'd heard this word many times previously but I don't think I really knew how to use it until recently. I like this word - like anticipation, but more formal, solemn.

October is just around the corner, which means...the start of the holiday season (at least in the retail world)! I love the holidays - the Christmas lights, the crisp weather, the jolliness in the air, the anticipation of seeing friends and family, skiing, etc.

No comments: