Friday, February 5, 2010

Tokyo Love

Headed to Sapporo tomorrow morning to see the yuki matsuri! Then headed to Rome for a couple days on an extended layover before meeting El Hombre in Egypt - our first time on the African continent! Love my life.

Yup, I actually love my life. It's the first time I've really felt that way since arriving in Tokyo, even though I used to feel it all the time back home (especially in 2008, one of the best years ever). Nothing has really changed significantly to turn my streak of "I hate Tokyo" to this surprising sentiment of "I really like Tokyo and in fact might love it." Work inanities are still work inanities, and if anything, have increased more than ever. I still despise that part of my life in Tokyo - dealing with the inane people who hold inane meetings for inane matters and are generally inane. But I adore the crisp, cold weather. Loved watching the first snow fall over the city. Have had so much good food this week it's ridiculous. Have set into action making one of my greatest dreams ever come true, thanks to a lovely friend and serendipitous timing (I don't want to say too much because I don't want unwanted readers to find this blog, but I will soon actually get to eat, critique and write for an actual publication). It feels a bit as if previously I was looking at everything through gray/black hued glasses and all of a sudden I'm looking through rose-tinted ones. I'm not certain how long this unexpected like/love of Tokyo will last, but it's a pleasant surprise.

No comments: