Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Winter Cleaning

I haven't figured out exactly what triggers my random bouts of neurotic cleaning and/or organizing, but one definitely hit me yesterday. All afternoon all I could think about was how I couldn't wait to get home so I could clean out my closet of the extraneous crap I don't need. I speedwalked home, opened up all my closet, dresser and desk drawers and started pulling things out, throwing them away or putting them in an old suitcase to give to Goodwill.

Digital camera from 2000? Out. Oversized Tommy Hilfiger sweatshirt from the 90's? Out. The first suit I ever bought (from BR) back in college, which have shoulder pads? OUT. In fact, anything with shoulder pads, OUT.

And yet, strangely there were some things I couldn't bear to part with. The 10+ pairs of clamdigger khaki pants I have, in addition to the 20+ pairs of other khaki pants? Couldn't part with a single one (most people collect jeans, I used to collect khaki pants). Any of the 10 pairs of flip flops? Might need them one day. The brown leather wedge boots? I know I'll never wear them again but I had them custom made in Korea (8 years ago)...can't throw them away.

Went out to dinner with S and A, had a glass of red wine which made me deliciously buzzed, came home and my buzz-induced state finally gave me the guts to throw more stuff away. 6 pairs of shoes, 4 suits, at least 50-60 other articles of clothing including pink velour sweatpants...I filled up a huge suitcase, duffel bag, backpack and an oversized shopping bag by the end of the night.

Tonight I'm going to go through my entire closet and organize it, and maybe throw out some more stuff. I am really, truly looking forward to it, so much that I'm just counting the minutes until I can get home. Then I'm going to vacuum, swiffer, clean the kitchen, scrub my bathroom and do laundry.

OMG. OCD.

No comments: