We spend a lot of time in retail stores - malls, department stores, outlets, drug stores, electronic stores, supermarkets, coffee shops, book stores, music stores. We spend so much time in them that we don't even realize that our daily lives are largely dominated by retail goods.
I know this because ever since I've been on a self-imposed shopping ban, I've deliberately avoided putting myself in tempting situations by avoiding any place that will make me want to take out my AmEx. And in doing so...find myself at a loss of what to do with my free time.
Take away plans to go shopping (even window-shopping) and I feel like....well, what the hell am I supposed to do during my vacation/weekends?
During the holidays, I watched a ton of movies. Got holiday partied out. Played golf (and I hate golf. and it hates me.). Played with my mom's dog. Followed my mom and brother around. Sat around and shot the shit with friends and relatives. Spent a lot of time on the internet. Read several outdated issues of Vanity Fair from cover to cover. Went to the gym more. Cleaned my apartment. Swiffered. Reorganized my closet, then my drawers, then my bathroom, then my shoe closet, then my kitchen. Spent 5 wonderful days in Tahoe (which of course drained my wallet, but whereas I view buying new shoes/dresses/stuff at this point "unnecessary" and thus a waste of money, skiing/snowboarding and making awesome memories with friends is absolutely positively "necessary" and thus NOT a waste of money). So...now that I've watched every movie currently playing on HBO, reviewed every restaurant I've been to on Yelp, caught up on my Vanity Fairs and reorganized every crevice of my apartment, what now?
Of course, technically I could go to the mall with friends and not buy anything. But I'm not a fan of self-torture. Besides, I know myself - when it comes to shoes, skirts, dresses, yummy smelling candles and especially shoes, I have no willpower. I am almost physically incapable of seeing a beautiful pair of shoes (that fit and are reasonably comfortable) and not pulling out my credit card faster than you can say Manolo Blahnik.
And so. Tomorrow is Saturday. I have brunch plans. But then what?? What does one do with ample free time when all retail stores are off limits and it's pouring outside (so going for a bike ride or any other outdoor activities are ruled out)?
***
2008 is already shaping up to be a terrific year. First sign? My insomnia seems to be officially cured. Back to falling asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. Which is wonderful. Didn't know what a blessing that was until I lost the ability for a while. I have reverse insomnia now, which is SO much better and productive - that is, my body wakes up between 6 am and 6:30 am and cannot fall back asleep. I believe it was Ben Franklin who said: early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. I haven't seen the wealth or wisdom yet, but waking up that early has caused me to get myself to the gym every morning (what else is there to do that early in the morning?), so at least I'm getting the health.
2 comments:
great... now i'm inspired to clean my apartment. woopdeedoo.
What about reading books?
What about using your talents and gifts to help others through volunteer work?
What about learning a new language or a new hobby?
Post a Comment