Friday, January 11, 2008
Get a raise, get paid less
I was expecting a significant increase in my paycheck today based on the automatic raise we get when we advance a year. I was a little dismayed to find that I got LESS than my last paycheck of 2007! Why? Federal and state social security taxes, which I guess you get taken out in the beginning of the year until the amount you owe is fully deducted, at which point you stop getting those taxes deducted. It feels like such a jip to see the amount of your taxable wages on your paystub, only to find that you basically get only HALF that amount after federal and state taxes, federal and state social security taxes and Medicare taxes. Especially when you know social security isn't even going to be around by the time you're old enough to be eligible for it, and you'll likely never use Medicare. Damn taxes. Yes, I know I sound like a Republican.
No comments:
Post a Comment