Monday, October 7, 2013

Paleo diet doesn't cure PMS

A mere 12 hours after I posted my last post exhalting the virtues of Paleo - I woke up this morning feeling achey, bloated and with cramps. Apparently, the Paleo diet doesn't do anything to ease PMS pains or symptoms. Usually I turn to milk, ice cream and chocolate for soothing, but none of those are allowed on Paleo. And so - this morning was the first time on Paleo that I felt it is not sustainable. As I walked from my flat to the MTR station, all I could think about was how I wanted my normal Starbucks drink - a double espresso on ice, topped off with 1/2 cup of whole milk and about a tablespoon of honey. It's the most delicious drink on planet earth, it's usually the difference between cranky, tired morning Deb and bright, happy, energetic morning Deb. On Paleo, milk and honey are out (honey is technically allowed in minimal portions but I'm being semi-strict during my first 30 days). Coffee is technically not Paleo and the stricter versions tell you to omit it, but I think the virtues of Paleo would be outweighed by the disaster that would result if you made me quit coffee, so it's one of the very few exceptions I make. I don't really feel like it's an exception though since many of the Paleo plans do permit it.

Even though my black iced coffee tasted fine to me yesterday, this morning it just wouldn't do. PMSing Deb needs dairy. NEEDS DAIRY. But I refrained. And I'm drinking my yucky black coffee that tastes like burnt charcoal. Ugh - for someone derives as much joy from food as I do, it IS hard to cut out ANY type of food from my regimen.

No comments: