Sunday, October 20, 2013

Asia is the future

I'm in Shanghai this week - what a city! The architecture here is simply amaze-balls. It's my third visit but I don't think I ever really appreciated it before - this time I'm on the Pudong side and it reminds me of a more spacious, more cosmopolitan Hong Kong. Visiting makes me feel like I could totally live in Shanghai for awhile - if only I could speak Mandarin!

Living in Asia, I get used to how fast everything progresses - architecture, technology, infrastructure. Then I return to visit the US and see how nothing has changed and how slow everything is (even the "futuristic" plans to build a high speed rail between LA and SF will be long outdated by the time it is built). I visit Seoul four to six times a year and without fail, every single time I visit the cityscape has altered from the previous visit, technology has advanced, everyone has the newest and latest gadget, and fashion trends have changed. In Hong Kong, I'll walk by a storefront on Thursday and it might be a clothing store, then I'll go away for a long weekend and return on Tuesday to find that it's been completely renovated and re-opened as a restaurant - seriously, that really does happen in HK over the weekend.

Innovation, progress, technological advancements - no matter where the seeds of it start in the world, Asia is where it will be manifest the fastest, only to rapidly progress and morph into something else before anywhere else in the world can catch up. It's amazing to have the opportunity to live here.

No comments: