Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Disturbed Sleep

I think how much and how loudly I talk in my sleep is the best indicator of my anxiety level. Though nothing in my situation has changed, I think I'm less anxious these days because my roommate hasn't heard me talk or yell in my sleep at all for awhile.

On the subject of disturbed sleep, I recently had a conversation with several friends who have had experiences with ga-wee, which I've found references to online as "scissor-lock" in English. It's an experience of lucid dreaming where the person feels they are awake yet can't move their body or speak, often accompanied by a vision of a black, grey or white figure sitting on top of them or surrounding them. I've never had this experience but I think I'd be utterly freaked out if I did. I'm still torn over whether this is just a dream (I think some sleep scientists believe it has something to do with a disturbance of REM sleep where your mind is woken up abruptly but your body hasn't had time to wake up yet so you can't move) or whether people are really awake and see spirits. I haven't made up my mind about the supernatural yet...whether they exist or not. And frankly, even if they do exist I'd really rather not have them ever reveal themselves to me.

No comments: