All I wanted for my birthday was to have good food in the company of good friends and I received that in abundance this year. Other than fine wrinkles around my eyes and the continued decay of my eggs, life only gets better as I get older. Things I want to remember: my grandmother bringing me a container of miyuk-gook the night before my birthday so I could have it on the actual day, El Hombre surprising me with a green tea cake (not to mention our trip to Osaka), Sunday brunch on the terrace at the Ritz on a perfectly warm and breezy 70 degree day (in SF! in November!) and my first call ever on my birthday to my mom to thank her for having me 29 years ago (and her reply that it is she who is thankful that she has a daughter like me). J mentioned during her birthday that her dad told her a long time ago that every birthday, she should call her mom and thank her, and this really stuck with me. I feel so blessed to have the life I live and it wouldn't have been possible if not for my madre's 16-hour labor process so long ago. Of course, it also wouldn't be possible without each of the people who have touched my life since then.
***
I loved the 70+ mid-November weather for the first 2-3 days, but now it's getting ridiculous. When is it going to snow in Tahoe? I bought new skis and need to give them a run. My goal is to also snowboard down a black diamond this season. I think the main roadblock is really just my fear of falling...I have a strong aversion to pain.
***
I was actually encouraged by today's news that economists forecast the recession to last through mid-2009. That's it? Thank goodness. Hope it recovers quickly thereafter.
No comments:
Post a Comment