Monday, August 4, 2008

Part of Being a Grown-Up Means Knowing How to Shut Your Trap and Lie Through Your Teeth

In many ways, I've been a "grown-up" ever since my parents got divorced when I was 8. Ever since then, I've known that the very people who are supposed to protect and love you can disappoint and fail you (and thus, you should never rely on anyone except yourself), I am extremely protective of the people I care about, fiscally responsible (and have almost zero tolerance for people who are fiscally irresponsible), believe in the notion that hard work and perseverence is the only honest way to succeed in life, am prepared when life throws hardballs my way, always eat my vegetables, know how to scrub a toilet and floss regularly.

But on the checklist of characteristics that defines "maturity" or an "adult," I've always lacked a fundamental element - a filter. In fact, I think it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older - my utter inability to stop myself from blurting out whatever is on my mind. And frankly, I've never really given a damn if people can't handle it or find me too blunt or harsh. I'm more interested in being honest with myself and others than being polite or perceived as a "nice girl." With me, generally, what you see/hear is what you get. In return, I pretty much always prefer new acquaintances and friends who know how to sass back and hold their own in an argument over someone who will politely nod their head so as not to offend you, or worse, not even have an opinion.

But I've been realizing lately that my lack of filter can be a personal and professional liability, and maybe I need to learn, as we were taught in second grade, to think before I speak. Oh poop.

No comments: