When I am traveling, I am relaxed, engaged, laid back and skilled at the art of doing nothing. If by nothing you mean observing and engaging in a new culture and language, exploring a brand new city or town, walking 10-20 miles a day and stuffing my face every chance I get.
Since I've been home, I've been restless, antsy, tense and prone to random bouts of ADD. Mostly, I'm bored. And I despise being bored. There is no work these days, which means my weekdays have no structure, no demands. Which sounds great but is actually quite horrible because it's not as if I can just take a few days and travel or decide to take a day trip somewhere or spend the afternoon hiking. I have to stay glued to my blackberry or computer, ready to respond to rare but random emails and hope (and simultaneously fear) that a deal will come in and finally give me something to do to fill the hours.
Today I decided to get off my extremely lazy arse and enjoy the nice weather and this amazingly beautiful city. Maybe the athletic discipline of the Olympians inspired me, but I realized I really have no excuse to stay in my PJs all day. Obviously I will never reach the athleticism of the Olympians, or even earn the adjective "athletic," but I figure I should ride this surge of inspiration while it lasts. So I went to yoga. Biked 13 miles through the city. Ran 2.5 miles.
And realized (again) that SF is a magnificent, beautiful city. Quite possibly the most beautiful city in the world. And also realized that I feel loads better when I burn off my antsiness and restlessness with exercise. Tired and sore, but happier and more relaxed.
No comments:
Post a Comment