Monday, August 11, 2008

Random Monday Ramblings

I've been going stir crazy lately. After the constant change of having to adjust to a new culture, language and environment every 3 days to couple weeks, being back in SF....the normality/ordinariness of the day-to-day, etc. was seriously making me go a little crazy - my spirit felt restless, bored, antsy. But after a conversation with El Hombre discussing the near-to-mid-term future, I feel that stirring of excitement again - looking forward to change and challenge. (eeeeeeks, I am so excited!)

***

Sundays like yesterday - perfect 75 degree weather (such a rarity for SF!) strolling in Mission Dolores and gorging on delectables at Tartine Bakery...this is why I HEART San Francisco.

***

I love the Olympics. The opening ceremony in Beijing was so impressive - very touching, very artistic, just overall very...amazing. So many aspects of the Olympics make me feel...touched, stirred, thankful to be part of the amazing human race. The little Chinese boy who walked in the opening ceremony with Yao Ming - he escaped from the rubble of the earthquake in Sichuan province...then returned to save two of his classmates. The Lost Boy from Sudan who carried the American flag in the opening ceremony. The first Korean gold medalist swimmer Park Tae Hwan, who dq'd in the 2004 Olympics because he fell in the water before the race started. The former Russian 33 year old gymnast who now competes for Germany because her son was diagnosed with leukemia and Germany helped her when Russia would not, so she became a German citizen because Germany gave her son life. Dana Torres, the 41 year old 5 time Olympian. And finally, Michael Phelps and the men's 400M relay swim team made me so proud to be an American (which is only interrupted every time the camera zooms in on George Bush, at which point I start hurling insults at the TV).

No comments: