Apparently Edward Snowden is hiding out in my current home city. There are posters and demonstrators in support of him throughout the city. Not that anyone cares, but here's my view - if I run into Edward Snowden, I would immediately turn him in to the US authorities. He's not a hero, he's a traitor to the US. You want to spill state secrets? Fine, but then face up to your punishment, you weanie.
Every time I read about another secret he's leaked to the press, I want to punch his face and tell him to shut the F up.
It's not because I don't believe in privacy, because I do, and value mine. But do I think that the government has reasonable grounds to want to have access to some stuff that is private, for the sake of the greater good (i.e. protecting society from terrorist attacks, pedophiles, etc.?). Hell yes. At the end of the day, I guess I just don't think that I have that much to hide from the government. And a little invasion of privacy in order to prevent another 9/11 seems like a fair tradeoff to me. But Snowden leaking all this to the press and muddying the US, especially when we all know every country does it (especially, egregiously China, who Snowden so ironically is hoping will protect him from the US) blows my mind.
Every time I read about another secret he's leaked to the press, I want to punch his face and tell him to shut the F up.
It's not because I don't believe in privacy, because I do, and value mine. But do I think that the government has reasonable grounds to want to have access to some stuff that is private, for the sake of the greater good (i.e. protecting society from terrorist attacks, pedophiles, etc.?). Hell yes. At the end of the day, I guess I just don't think that I have that much to hide from the government. And a little invasion of privacy in order to prevent another 9/11 seems like a fair tradeoff to me. But Snowden leaking all this to the press and muddying the US, especially when we all know every country does it (especially, egregiously China, who Snowden so ironically is hoping will protect him from the US) blows my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment