Friday, June 21, 2013

Alternate endings

I think I've said here before that sometimes I love me some country music. For some reason, Californians (and perhaps New Yorkers as well...and actually now that I think about it, maybe everyone outside of the Southern US) seem to think liking country music reflects an utter lack of taste in music. And while I admit I may have awful taste in music, I don't think my appreciation of country music is what makes it awful.

Anyway, I say this because I just found out that The Voice crowned Danielle Bradbery the new winner, and I thought it was the right choice. But I did not think she should have been up against Michelle Shamuel (who is only slightly better than your average karaoke singer) at the end - it absolutely should have been Judith Hill and Danielle Bradbery to the end.

***

What I love about country music is how - for me at least - it evokes something so down-home American. I imagine houses with wraparound porches with a swing, tall glasses of sweet tea and lemonade condensing in the sunshine, summer barbecues, American flags flying in the wind. Which is strange since I didn't grow up in the South and my America is Northern California, which is so far from Tennessee and Alabama and Georgia. But I did spend some of my formative years in Northern Virginia and maybe that's close enough. And I did spend a good amount of time shuttling to the deep South while dating P, in what seems like a thousand years ago.

Sometimes I think that had I been born into another life, it would have been as a white girl in the South. Or as a Catalunyan born in Barcelona. Those are the alternate lives I can actually truly see myself living  - maybe I lived them in a prior life (which by the way, I don't believe in, but who am I to say that reincarnation is impossible).

***

I finished The Magician's Assistant this morning. The ending surprised me, even though in hindsight I guess I saw it coming but just hoped that I was going to be wrong. I also felt like Ann Patchett should add one final chapter, an epilogue of sorts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahah. i think you might be surprised at how "cool" "country" is right now in lots of areas outside the midwest/south. Between cross over country fans, Nashville country pop fans (not to mention fans of Nashville the tv show), hipster country, alt country, roots country/bluegrass and country influenced bands you can find a tribe to look down on other country fans or pop fans as well as stake out your musical bonafides.

Either way i often think about what my life would have been like "if" ....

- gus