Giants swept the Tigers in the World Series! It's the second time in two years that I will miss the victory parade and the second time in two years that I missed out on all of the excitement, camaraderie and garlic fries that united the Bay Area. In all the years I lived in SF (2 blocks from AT&T stadium no less), the Giants were never this good. I kind of wonder if maybe there's a correlation between all their wins, and my not being in SF....
Hurricane Sandy has shut down the NYSE, the NY metro, public schools and even the presidential campaign. Crazy. Hope it doesn't live up to anyone's expectations, as it sounds like that would be disastrous. Stay safe, East Coasters.
El Hombre pointed out that in a week, we'll find out if we have a new president. And I'm ashamed to say, I felt completely unaffected. I didn't register to vote in time this year. Life in the US just seems so far away and removed from my life that even as I read about the debates and the campaigns, I feel completely detached. As detached as I feel when I read about China, or Syria. You read it, you are mentally interested because it's a world affair, but then you put the newspaper away and go eat brunch in your neighborhood cafe and forget about it, because all of that stuff is going on thousands of miles away. It's sad, isn't it? It is to me, at least - I want to care more...it's just that I also just would rather spend my time enjoying the present - the here and now.
Hurricane Sandy has shut down the NYSE, the NY metro, public schools and even the presidential campaign. Crazy. Hope it doesn't live up to anyone's expectations, as it sounds like that would be disastrous. Stay safe, East Coasters.
El Hombre pointed out that in a week, we'll find out if we have a new president. And I'm ashamed to say, I felt completely unaffected. I didn't register to vote in time this year. Life in the US just seems so far away and removed from my life that even as I read about the debates and the campaigns, I feel completely detached. As detached as I feel when I read about China, or Syria. You read it, you are mentally interested because it's a world affair, but then you put the newspaper away and go eat brunch in your neighborhood cafe and forget about it, because all of that stuff is going on thousands of miles away. It's sad, isn't it? It is to me, at least - I want to care more...it's just that I also just would rather spend my time enjoying the present - the here and now.
No comments:
Post a Comment