I'm in AMERICA!! I haven't been back to my country of citizenship since January, and it feels so great to be back. When I'm in HK, I don't actually miss the US that much to be honest...it's such an alternate universe that I think I just forget that life is continuing to move on without me in the US. You stay so busy in HK with the daily trappings that you don't have time to sit and miss home. But being back in the US is really nice - the air is so much cleaner (the smell of TREES, not smog - glorious!), life is slower, quieter, suburban. And there's something really nice about it all.
I'm spending 3 days in LA, mostly just getting some QT with my grandma. So far that has consisted of her trying to feed me 3 meals within 12 hours and watching lots of Olympics. Olympic coverage -another great thing about the US. In Hong Kong, we have fairly limited coverage and you never know what language it's going to be covered in. It's SO great to watch American coverage of the Olympics - yes, it's biased towards the US, but who cares if you're American? I love all the NBC coverage on Olympians' lives - it makes me feel so patriotic that it brings tears to my eyes. Then again, it could just be the jetlag.
On the flight over from HK, I tried to stay awake as much as possible so I could sleep upon arriving in LA (I arrived last night) and minimize jetlag. Which means I watched 10 episodes of Glee, 4 episodes of Modern Family and 3 episodes of Veep. Oh American sitcoms, how I missed you so.
In HK, we have limited cable access, which means my access to American pop culture consists mostly of Giuliana & Bill, endless Kardashians, E! News, CSI and CSI Miami.
After catching up on Glee, I have come to the conclusion that Darren Criss is the most talented man in Hollywood. He can act, dance, sing - he's just so adorable and talented. I want to put him in my pocket and take him out so he can dance and sing on cue. Again, this is probably the jetlag talking.
I'll be heading to SF on Friday for a few days reunion with my home city, then heading back to HK next week. I've been needing a good dose of Americana, or rather California - sunshine without humidity, driving, Mexican food, biased news coverage, Target, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, American English. Ahhhh America. It's nice to be back.
I'm spending 3 days in LA, mostly just getting some QT with my grandma. So far that has consisted of her trying to feed me 3 meals within 12 hours and watching lots of Olympics. Olympic coverage -another great thing about the US. In Hong Kong, we have fairly limited coverage and you never know what language it's going to be covered in. It's SO great to watch American coverage of the Olympics - yes, it's biased towards the US, but who cares if you're American? I love all the NBC coverage on Olympians' lives - it makes me feel so patriotic that it brings tears to my eyes. Then again, it could just be the jetlag.
On the flight over from HK, I tried to stay awake as much as possible so I could sleep upon arriving in LA (I arrived last night) and minimize jetlag. Which means I watched 10 episodes of Glee, 4 episodes of Modern Family and 3 episodes of Veep. Oh American sitcoms, how I missed you so.
In HK, we have limited cable access, which means my access to American pop culture consists mostly of Giuliana & Bill, endless Kardashians, E! News, CSI and CSI Miami.
After catching up on Glee, I have come to the conclusion that Darren Criss is the most talented man in Hollywood. He can act, dance, sing - he's just so adorable and talented. I want to put him in my pocket and take him out so he can dance and sing on cue. Again, this is probably the jetlag talking.
I'll be heading to SF on Friday for a few days reunion with my home city, then heading back to HK next week. I've been needing a good dose of Americana, or rather California - sunshine without humidity, driving, Mexican food, biased news coverage, Target, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, American English. Ahhhh America. It's nice to be back.
No comments:
Post a Comment