I love America. I spent the day driving around and running errands with my grandma and even though all I did was drive around ghetto K-town and ghetto downtown LA and partially ghetto Culver City, I was so happy to be in America. Land of the American English-speaking. Land of the competent service people.
Even the incompetent service people in the US are for the most part, much more competent than the service people in HK. I loved that I could walk into Wells Fargo and do what I needed to do within 2 minutes, with zero service people who didn't understand what I wanted to do or tell me that it was impossible or ask me to wait for someone else to come help me. I loved that I went to FedEx Kinko's (I love that there is a FedEx Kinko's at all, since there are none in HK) and the service people there were totally helpful and smiley and helped me to finish everything I needed within 5 minutes. I loved that random people at the grocery store would smile or say hello, for no reason at all.
I love how much SPACE there is in America. I love that I have not had any sweaty, smelly people all up in my grill at ALL since I landed. I love that personal space here means at least arm's length distance away.
I love how PLENTIFUL America is. I went to Trader Joe's and could not believe how CHEAP and GOOD the stuff is. Pink Himalayan sea salt for $1.99! A liter of olive oil for $5.99! Raw honey for $5.99! Goodness, everything is SO SO SO SO cheap. And I haven't even gone to Target or Costco yet.
There is something so essentially suburban, generically commercialized by chains yet wholly American and wonderful about America. It's so utterly different from life in HK, which is completely urban, dominated by mom & pop stores, and so utterly international and locally Chinese at the same time. I totally love both for completely different reasons, but after almost over 7 months of being away from the US, it is great to be back.
Even the incompetent service people in the US are for the most part, much more competent than the service people in HK. I loved that I could walk into Wells Fargo and do what I needed to do within 2 minutes, with zero service people who didn't understand what I wanted to do or tell me that it was impossible or ask me to wait for someone else to come help me. I loved that I went to FedEx Kinko's (I love that there is a FedEx Kinko's at all, since there are none in HK) and the service people there were totally helpful and smiley and helped me to finish everything I needed within 5 minutes. I loved that random people at the grocery store would smile or say hello, for no reason at all.
I love how much SPACE there is in America. I love that I have not had any sweaty, smelly people all up in my grill at ALL since I landed. I love that personal space here means at least arm's length distance away.
I love how PLENTIFUL America is. I went to Trader Joe's and could not believe how CHEAP and GOOD the stuff is. Pink Himalayan sea salt for $1.99! A liter of olive oil for $5.99! Raw honey for $5.99! Goodness, everything is SO SO SO SO cheap. And I haven't even gone to Target or Costco yet.
There is something so essentially suburban, generically commercialized by chains yet wholly American and wonderful about America. It's so utterly different from life in HK, which is completely urban, dominated by mom & pop stores, and so utterly international and locally Chinese at the same time. I totally love both for completely different reasons, but after almost over 7 months of being away from the US, it is great to be back.
3 comments:
ghetto downtown, culver city, and ktown are where i work, live, and eat! welcome back :D -mj
M - you live in Culver City??? OMG, that's where my family lives and where I'm staying! I'm only here for a couple days this time but will def look you up next time I'm here!
yes! i live near the yogurtland and ralph's; i walk there when needing a froyo fix :) let's def hang out when you have more time! -mj
Post a Comment