Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Glorious SF

There is no place like SF. It is always Home to me. I know it and it knows me - we don't love everything about each other, but we love each other with a deep & true love that can never be replaced by any other city in the world. It's an old, tried and true love. When I come back to SF, I feel a sense of "aaaah, there you are. I missed you and I didn't even know it. You're different from when I left, but still essentially the same, and I love you for it." I think that's how love is with family and old, tried and true friends too. Even if you haven't seen each other for months or years, with true friends, when you get together again, there is something about the essence of each other that you simply get. Like putting on your favorite pair of worn jeans. Or being wrapped up in your comforter.

There is something so comforting about being back in the bay area. I love SF and I love the East Bay (ok..not all of the east bay, but my east bay, which is Albany/Berkeley/Emeryville and parts of Oakland). Driving around the east bay, I realize how ghetto parts of it are, but there's something about it that's comforting just because it's what I know and remember. It's ghetto, but it's MY ghetto. What I love about Albany/Berkeley is that it's not suburban - it's urban. It's not a city like SF, but it's not suburban at all either. What I've realized about myself is that I hate suburban. I don't know if having kids will change my distaste for suburbia, but I hate the suburbs so much that I feel like I'll probably just live in a city and make my kids go to private school. I hate suburbia, but I don't mind urban neighborhoods, even if they are rough around the edges. Actually, I probably like them because they are rough around the edges.

My 6 days in the bay area have flown by so quickly - it's been kind of crazy and frazzled. Running errands, picking up supplies for HK, meeting with people, shopping, trying to refi my place and looking at some potential new places to buy with El Hombre - time is never enough. I think I'm looking forward to going back to HK so I can stop having so much on my to do list and can just veg at home, surf the internet mindlessly and not run around all day.

Summer vacation is coming to an end - it's flown by, but I'll be really happy to go back to work. I miss having structure to my day!


No comments: