Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lexophile

I love words. I love how certain words sound as they roll off your tongue, like "serendipity." I love how words have the ability to describe complex emotions or paint a beautiful sunset in one's mind. And I especially love when I come across a combination of words that describes exactly, perfectly a feeling or emotion that I wasn't able to put in words myself, but describes exactly what I was trying to say.

I recently came across a blog of someone I used to know as a kid. We went to church together and our families were quite close until my parents got divorced and I moved to the east coast. She's my brother's age so in my mind I always still see her as a little kid, but now she's all grown up and engaged, spent the last year teaching English in Beijing and is now traveling around the world with her fiancee before they head back to the States to get married later this year. Her blog is well-written, well-edited, touching and funny. In one post that is mostly an ode to avocados (which she apparently believes is the perfect food), she writes: "But isn't that the truth about all of our favorite things? It certainly is what I look forward to when I come home. The relationships that sit like worn-in chairs that wait for you to roll back into and get comfortable in."

That is exactly what relationships with tried and true friends and family are like.

***

I PAID OFF ALL OF MY PRIVATE STUDENT LOANS! I feel so free!!! Well sort of...I still have a mortgage, but one less debt still feels great!

No comments: