Monday, January 4, 2010

Tadaima Tokyo

I'm back, Tokyo. Did you miss me? No? Well, I didn't miss you either. Although I have to admit, it's not entirely unpleasant to return to Tokyo. It's a universe entirely unto itself, but it does have its attributes.

***

My flight to Tokyo was delayed for 19 hours due to the breakage of a landing light - the part required to fix it needed to be flown in from Detroit so our flight was rescheduled for the following morning, which meant a boondoggle extra day in SF with El Hombre. Wow, things really ARE going my way in 2010. (30 red, baby!)

It's the simple things in life that make life full and happy: a few extra hours with El Hombre, dinner at Whole Foods (at my request, so I could get my fill of kale and avocado salad before I left), one more night together (the worst thing about LDR is sleeping alone. I detest sleeping alone and adore the way my body fits perfectly under the nook of El Hombre's arm and how when I throw my arm across his chest he will take my hand and hold it to him).

***

Ski trip to Tahoe was amazing...this year we went to South Lake Tahoe, which has always been my favorite place on planet earth. I'm sure there are places that match its beauty elsewhere, but my family spent so many winters there during my childhood that it has always held a special place in my heart. On our first day on the slopes at Heavenly, I couldn't help but blurt out: "I'm so happy" about 100 times during the day, no exaggeration. Being in Tahoe, on the slopes, with a fresh coat of new snow, hanging with some of my favorite people in the world, gazing at the snow-capped trees and beautiful lake surrounded by mountains, spending the day boarding...I was in HEAVEN. Happiness so palpable that every 15 minutes, I would exclaim again: "oh my god, I'm so happy."

Generally, I feel like 90% of my time at home in the bay area could be described in the same way: So happy. The other 10%, I was just happy. Even though I had a severe cold during most of the holidays and lost my voice for almost a week, I was happy. Happy to be surrounded by my loved ones, happy to catch up with old friends, happy it was the holidays, happy to be in America, happy to be happy. I LOVE BEING HAPPY.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha, that's funny. my phrase for almost all of december (when traveling in nyc, seoul, and houston) were "omg, so delicious!" i repeated it probably as many times as you repeated "i'm so happy" :) --g