Sunday, January 17, 2010

No mo' Tokyo

Everyone I like in Tokyo is leaving. What does it say about a city/country when the main theme that you bond over with pretty much every other female expat you meet is your shared hate of said city/country? In this ginormous city filled with millions of strangers, I managed to find a few people I really, truly liked. And I am not exaggerating when I say that pretty much ALL of them have either left or are leaving (with most of them scheduled to leave in February/March).

I believe it is a sign from the universe that it's my time to leave Tokyo as well. The only thing that made living in Tokyo remotely tolerable was finding the few normal people I truly liked. And in a couple months, they will all be gone. And I have to say, I doubt I'll find more normal people to like because it took meeting a LOT of people to find these normal ones.

Second sign from the universe that my time in Tokyo is almost up: my iPhone cracked. I dropped it last night while running across the street. The screen broke into about 8 pieces. It's still functioning (I made a flimsy attempt to put it back together by buying one of those transparent screen protectors to keep the glass screen together) but I doubt it will last for more than a couple months. That gadget cost me over $350 when I moved here (and not even for the newer model - for a 8 gig 3G) and I am DEFINITELY not buying a new phone.

Third sign from the universe: my company totally changed my job terms on me in 2010 with no corresponding raise in salary or benefits. My total hours target suddenly jumped from around 1800 per year to 2400. Dude, you cannot increase my workload by 33% without giving me ANYTHING more than I agreed to when I took this job.

Fourth sign from the universe: I reviewed my lease and realized that I can actually terminate whenever I want with a month's notice (with a small early termination penalty).

So dear universe, dear hananim ahbuji, dear baby Jesus, please please please give me a way out of Tokyo by end of March - and please please please let it be in a way that El Hombre and I can be in the same city.

***

Edit: Actually, I amend my desired Tokyo end date to the end of May.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww, i hope you get out soon too! but why end of may? --g

Anonymous said...

hehe, realized i have plans through the end of march, and figured can stick around until after golden week.... -deb