Monday, July 21, 2008

Full House, Full Weekend, Full Life

It was a full house at my place this weekend with J visiting from LA - we turned the entire weekend into one big slumber party starting Friday afternoon. We kicked off the weekend watching Mamma Mia with T, followed by dinner at Out the Door and barhopping in the city, which El Hombre also joined us for. Hung over, dehydrated, and sleep-deprived we woke up way too early for a Saturday to head over to Alameda's landfill bay for part I of our weekend windsurfing lesson. Putting on damp wetsuits in 50 degree weather at 9:45 in the morning....not fun. But we had a lot of fun playing balance games on the windsurf boards and getting some sailing in. We rewarded ourselves with a humongous meal at Sushi House, where the rolls are as good as ever. We had just enough time to come home, wash up and take a quick catnap before heading out for ajumma's night out at Orson and karaoke. We were done with the night by 11 pm, in true ajumma style. Part II of our windsurfing lesson was on Sunday morning, when it was even colder and gloomier. Once we got out in the water, it was awesome though and I think we all got the basic mechanics of a haul-up, 180 turn and sailing. However, after this weekend I think I'll save watersports for warm water...putting on a damp wetsuit is really not very much fun. J and I had lunch at Hog Island (one of our mutual faves, although I abstained from oysters this time around) then met up with J and El Hombre to watch The Dark Knight, in which Heath Ledger clearly stole the show. We capped the weekend off with a late night run to Grubstake for fried egg-topped bacon cheeseburger, seasoned fries and root beer float and very interesting conversation about a Survivor-esque eco-volunteer vacation site in Fiji and the fascinating international entertainment options available to men.

Several conclusions reached this weekend:

* My girlfriends are fun, wonderful, generous souls
* My life is full
* The Bay Area is freezing cold and watersports are not recommended
* Damp wetsuits smell gross and feel even grosser
* I think it's safe to say our clubbing days are over
* J'adore l'homme and I feel extremely lucky to have found him
* I am a wee bit tempted by the idea of spending a week with no running water, no electricity, and no beds in the middle of the jungle in a tiny island in the middle of nowhere

No comments: