Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Kavehaz Kulture

Cumulative Miles Traveled: 23,197
Current Location: Budapest, Hungary
Current Mood: Healthy and happy

***

I have no pre-conceived notions or stereotypes about Budapest so it has the opportunity to make me love it or hate it. So far I've been here 5 hours and other than my crap hostel and rainy weather, think it's quite lovely. I love the kavehaz (coffeehouse) culture! There are so many proper Viennese style coffeehouses all over the place, with extensive menus of cakes and coffees, which you are allowed to sit over for hours and hours if you wish. I only have about 40 hours in Budapest so tomorrow will be a very packed day - 80% of the top recommended sites during most of the day, then the late afternoon and evening at the Gellert Baths/Spa, interspersed with at least 2 or 3 stops for coffee/tea at kavehazes.

Then I'm off to GREECE(!!), which has been at the top of my list for a long time. 2 days of historical sites in Athens, 3 days of windsurfing and waterskiing in Ios and a couple days of relaxation in Santorini before I join up with the Spring Break Girls in Istanbul! This trip is going to be over before I know it...and honestly, I am really looking forward to going home to my favorite city in the world (with the darkest tan I have ever had in my life)!

No comments: