Monday, May 19, 2008

Contrary Europeans

Europeans are so contrary, especially the French.

A few examples:

*In Czech, the word for "yes" is "no". How weird is it to answer "no" everytime you are actually trying to say "yes"! (ok, so not weird for them, but weird for me)

*In French, daughter-in-law, which is the same word for stepdaughter is belle fille, or "beautiful daughter." (for any in-law or step- situation, you just add the word beautiful before the noun). This seems a bit insincere to me...I mean does a mother-in-law really think her daughter-in-law is her "beautiful daughter"?

***

Miss Sophie's (http://www.miss-sophies.com/) in Prague is the nicest hostel I have ever stayed at and though my hostel experience is limited by backpacker standards, I would venture to say it might be the nicest hostel in the whole world. The bathroom is beautiful, with a rainshower showerhead and unlimited hot water, the beds are comfortable with plush white down comforters, the full kitchen permits you to cook your own food (crucial since Czech food is so atrocious - so atrocious that I actually resorted to McDonald's yesterday!)...and the modern design is more like a boutique hotel than a hostel. It's one of the reasons I decided to cut Vienna out of my itinerary and stay in Prague for a couple extra days to recuperate and just enjoy some R&R. I'll be sad to leave and I doubt any hostel can live up to its standards.

No comments: