My cell phone plan recently spiked in price, a signal that it's time to get a new phone and sign a new contract - which means that we've been living in HK more than 2 years now (all contracts here, whether for leases, cell phones, cable, etc. are for a minimum of 2 years). Crazy how time flies here. In total, I've been expatriated from the US for more than 3 1/2 years - I was talking with a friend recently about Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" and she asked whether I knew if the song was about John Mayer, and I asked, why would it be about John Mayer - I had no idea that Taylor Swift and John Mayer dated! (as a sidenote - John Mayer dated Jennifer Aniston AND Taylor Swift? That is so gross. Jennifer Aniston is literally old enough to be Taylor Swift's mom) My point is - I'm so out of touch with America these days. So out of touch that I call it America.
Just a couple days left in the Year of the Dragon - what an amazing whirlwind of a year it was. I honestly can't believe all the stuff that happened in the past year. I remember reading my horoscope at the beginning of last year, and it said something along the lines of: many of the months this year would be hard, but I'd have a few really amazing, life-changing months, as in I might get married, move to a new house and get a new job. And the thing is - my horoscope was exactly right. When I look back on the past year, many of the months I had were downers - and yet I also had some of the most amazing months of my life happen - and in fact I did indeed get married, move to a new flat and get a new job. Actually, not just a new job but a new career. That's how different working in-house is to private practice. When I was an associate I just could not imagine what my future was in that life - there was definitely an expiration date because I knew I didn't want to become a partner (mainly because 1) I am not a salesman, 2) partners don't seem any happier, and most also seem to have no ethical qualms about ruining associates' lives on a regular basis while they get the bulk of the credit and the money, 3) most partners I know are not very likeable human beings). But after coming in-house, I see a path. The first few months of learning the ropes of working in a corporation were challenging (it's so political), but now that I understand how to navigate through it and have established some credibility in my position, I totally see being an in-house lawyer as a career, and not just a job.
Anyway, digression aside - the year of the dragon was a wild ride, but I am looking forward to what the year of the snake will bring.
Just a couple days left in the Year of the Dragon - what an amazing whirlwind of a year it was. I honestly can't believe all the stuff that happened in the past year. I remember reading my horoscope at the beginning of last year, and it said something along the lines of: many of the months this year would be hard, but I'd have a few really amazing, life-changing months, as in I might get married, move to a new house and get a new job. And the thing is - my horoscope was exactly right. When I look back on the past year, many of the months I had were downers - and yet I also had some of the most amazing months of my life happen - and in fact I did indeed get married, move to a new flat and get a new job. Actually, not just a new job but a new career. That's how different working in-house is to private practice. When I was an associate I just could not imagine what my future was in that life - there was definitely an expiration date because I knew I didn't want to become a partner (mainly because 1) I am not a salesman, 2) partners don't seem any happier, and most also seem to have no ethical qualms about ruining associates' lives on a regular basis while they get the bulk of the credit and the money, 3) most partners I know are not very likeable human beings). But after coming in-house, I see a path. The first few months of learning the ropes of working in a corporation were challenging (it's so political), but now that I understand how to navigate through it and have established some credibility in my position, I totally see being an in-house lawyer as a career, and not just a job.
Anyway, digression aside - the year of the dragon was a wild ride, but I am looking forward to what the year of the snake will bring.
No comments:
Post a Comment