Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Theorem on getting older

If you're Korean, you've heard your parents or grandparents mutter "sa nun geh him deuh luh" which literally means "living is hard." I found myself uttering that more than a few times this year. The older I get, the more I realize, living IS hard. Worrying about aging parents (and grandparents), job stability, mortgages, potential offspring, where to live, etc. - all these things are hard. And yet, I also think that life only gets better as you get older - at least so far in my life. With age comes more knowledge about life and stuff, more and more comfort in your own skin, more autonomy over your life. I enjoyed my 20's, but I'm really loving my 30's - I am loving that it's perfectly ok not to go out and get drunk or be "cool" and that I can revel in who I really am and what I really like, which is cooking, eating, spending quality time with close friends during the day or early evening and being in bed by 11 pm, traveling and reading. So as I get older, life gets harder, but it also gets better. So does harder = better? Not sure, but I definitely think that because life is harder, I really relish the good moments in life more than I did when I was younger, when I took them for granted.

No comments: