Sunday, September 30, 2012

Absolute paradise

I'm not easily impressed by travel these days - I still love it, but I am rarely "wowed" by new destinations. And then, we arrived in the Maldives. And it absolutely took my breath away with all its stunning beauty and peacefulness. And every morning when I wake up, it takes my breath away again. And again. I will never get sick of how cerulean blue the water is, or how white the sand is, or how clear it is to the bottom. As I watched the sun set over the clouds yesterday in a majestic climax of burning orange and red and pink, I was in utter awe - I literally felt as if I was seeing God.

Three days in the Maldives was far too short (although El Hombre and I were discussing that five days would probably be far too long - four days would be perfect), but I feel so incredibly blessed to have had the opportunity to finally come here. It did not disappoint in any way - in fact, I don't think you can oversell the Maldives because its beauty is unlike any other. I don't know how El Hombre and I will take another beach vacation that ever even comes close to the utter perfection of the Maldives: zero pollution, zero hagglers, complete privacy if we choose, the most turquoise waters that melt into the bluest sky, zero distractions, and amazing underwater sea life just steps from our villa. The only view that was more amazing than the aqua blue waters was the thriving sealife just underneath the surface - an amazing array of coral and fish (and some turtles and manta rays and octopus). So stunning.

I am so sad to be leaving today, but God willing, I WILL be back, someday in the not-too-distant future.

No comments: