Sunday, October 10, 2010

An Ode to the Humble Dumpling

I've never been a huge fan of dumplings. I just didn't get what was so great about a flour wrapper filled with meat.

Then I came to Hong Kong. And had xia long bao at Crystal Jade (BEST xia long bao ever, beats the pants off Din Tai Fung). And dim sum at a local joint down the street. And delicate pan-fried kimchi and pork dumplings at a hole in the wall in my neighborhood-to-be in 3 weeks (which I am SO excited about!). And steamed shrimp wontons in a special spicy oil sauce at King's Dumpling (my favorite restaurant find in HK so far, definitely one that I'm taking any visitors to). I've eaten more dumplings in the past two weeks than I ate in the two years that preceded it. I never knew there were so many different ways a dumpling could be prepared - each unique and so delicious. I've officially been converted. I love dumplings!!

No comments: