Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Aussie Lifestyle

My various travels leave me with one question: Do Aussies EVER work??? It seems like all Aussies do is travel, drink, surf, travel, drink, travel, drink...

I've met a lot of people from all over the world during my travels, but by and large, the people I come across most often are Australians. And whereas the longest backpacking trip I've taken is 4 months, many of the Aussies I met were traveling for 1 or 2 years, or sometimes even indefinitely. And their attitude is SOO carefree (which is a rosy way of saying: irresponsible). When I ask them how they manage to finance a 2 year trip, some reply: "oh well, you know if I run out of money, I'll just stay put somewhere and bartend or something." And these aren't 19 or 20-something year olds. Often, they're people in their 30's and 40's. And I wonder: don't they think about saving money? Retirement? Mortgage?

I used to think the Aussies' bohemian way of thinking/living was cool, but these days I think it's irresponsible and indulgent. Maybe I've become a jaded American. Maybe my view of the Aussies is reflective of how I actually view my own traveling bug (irresponsible and indulgent).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember talking to an aussie doing an around the world trip and she was saying that it's such an endeavour to get anywhere from australia that they usually try to make it a long trip.

I think I'm in the reverse position. I was all about responsibility and security and stuff but now I'm like, wow I wish I could be like the aussies and go with the flow for a bit.

- gus