Monday, August 10, 2009

Iidesu

Work hours here are kicking my arse. 14-15 hour days are the norm, of which 25-40% is facetime. I could be an infinitely more productive human being if they would cut the facetime. Or at the very least, I would get more sleep. I have to say it's actually kind of nice to use my brain again and produce work product, but I wish I was allowed to do it in more humane hours.

What I really like about Tokyo is how even when you walk home from work at 1 am, everything is open. Sushi, udon, ramen, soba, izakayas, bars, clubs, grocery stores...they're all still open and buzzing with people. It was one thing I disliked about SF - how early everything closes, how empty (and therefore dangerous) the streets are.

However, I think I need a little getaway from Tokyo already so I'm planning on heading to Kamakura for the weekend, which is supposed to be chock full of temples, monasteries, hiking trails and beaches.

***

I'm trying to change my attitude about Tokyo. That is to say, I'm trying to not find everything about it irritating. Which is a monumental task when you happen to be me in a place that happens to be Tokyo. Because just about everything fundamental about Tokyo clashes with just about everything fundamental about me (which surprised me, really. I thought I would totally love it and feel somewhat at home here). As I was walking home from dinner last night I realized I'm actually having a good time here. But in order to truly allow myself to experience what Tokyo has to offer, I need to give it a real chance. I have to try not to dislike it so much. Because under my dislike, I actually like it...if that makes sense.

No comments: