Everyone knows...the way to Deb's heart is through her stomach. And so, despite Tokyo's whack social dynamics, its social conditioning and oppression, its gigantic cockroaches and flying cicadas, frequent earthquakes and unbearably muggy weather....I'm really starting to enjoy Tokyo.
My top 10 reasons why Tokyo is a food-lover's city:
1. The sushi. Even mediocre sushi here is better than the best sushi you can find in SF. I have sushi about 2-3 X per week (try to avoid having it more than that because of mercury poisoning risk). Yesterday I had uni, negitoro, chu-toro, roe of angler fish and aji. Every bite was heaven.
2. The ramen. So many different types, so many places, so many variations. Salt broth, soy broth, pork broth or even sesame broth. Thin noodles or thick noodles. Al dente or not. Extra fatty broth, medium or lean. Toppings ranging from egg, pork, corn, butter, cheese, kimchi, garlic, green onion, etc.
3. The bakeries. So many French, pseudo-French and Japanese bakeries, all so delicious. In the last week, the pastries I've had include: almond croissant, caramelized orange pastry-tart thing, Mediterannean focaccia with sundried tomatoes and olives, lemon cake, white bread so buttery you don't need to add butter when you toast it.
4. The beverages. My favorite is a non-carbonated grapefruit drink by Koiwai Farms. Also love yuzu sour on the rocks without soda and am starting to like sake.
5. The milk. Milk here is extremely rich, extremely creamy and extremely satisfying.
6. The specialty restaurants. In Japan there are restaurants that specialize in only unagi, or only tempura, or only soba, or only tonkatsu or only tofu. And generally, if a place specializes in just one thing, they tend to have it down to an art form.
7. The izakayas. Each izakaya is different but the common theme is good food, good drinks and Japanese-style raucousness.
8. The portions. They are tiny. Not great for your wallet, but great for your waistline and for trying lots of different dishes.
9. International cuisine. When I first arrived, I was told that finding good non-Japanese food, especially Thai and Vietnamese, would be impossible. But it's not. I have found an amazing, authentic hole-in-the-wall Thai place and a decent Vietnamese place. I've also had very good Indian, decent Korean, excellent Italian and passable Mexican. And though I haven't tried any yet, I'm told this city has several excellent Spanish/tapas restaurants.
10. Presentation. It's such a pleasure to just walk by bakeries or confectionaries or restaurants because everything is presented so beautifully.
Oh, and a bonus: no tip, no tax (although if you go to fancier places, there is a 10% service charge)
No comments:
Post a Comment