As I minimize my life these days, I can't help but ask myself: why the hell do I have so much STUFF? Why am I finding clothes in my closet circa 2002 that still have tags on them and have never been worn ever? Why do I have so many candles? Why do I have so many books (actually, this is the only thing I never really feel bad about)? Why do I have so many kitchen gadgets? Why do I have so many plates, chopsticks, cups, mugs, etc.? Why do I have so many pairs of khaki pants? Why do I have so many turtleneck sweaters? Why do I have so many throw pillows? Why do I have so much useless crap? I've made three trips to the Goodwill drop-off in the last week and tomorrow will be my fourth. Even after donating 2 suitcases and 6 shopping bags full of clothes, 8 pairs of shoes, 3 boxes of books, and 2 shopping bags full of random crap, I still have 8 boxes of additional STUFF to donate tomorrow and will no doubt have to make yet another trip before my spring cleaning is over.
I couldn't help but think that if I just hadn't spent a few bucks here and there on all this useless crap I'm giving away, I could probably have paid off a significant part of my student debt by now.
I'm making a life resolution: no more buying useless crap. Minimalism is my key word for 2009.
No comments:
Post a Comment