Thursday, July 9, 2015

Heart's truth

Whenever I go through a big life change, I take some time off to travel. Usually, it involves living out of a backpack and includes elements of mountain, ocean, foreign countries, and good food/drink. Because I live a fortunate life, it also usually includes good company. It sounds dramatic and privileged and indulgent and I know that it is. We all have our lots in life - and while mine has been filled with its share of sorrow and hardship, it's also been filled with an incredible amount of travel, good food and memory-making with friends.

So. It's that time again. The only difference is that this time I'm not quitting my job or taking an extended leave of absence. I'm older and wiser. Or maybe just older and less risk-averse and conservative. I'll be taking two weeks off from work to hike the 170 km circuit around Mont Blanc.

God/the universe speaks to people in different ways. An acquaintance recently wrote a beautiful FB post about how butterflies are her thing with God - in amazing and uncanny ways, whenever she needs comfort from God, a butterfly will literally appear, even in the most unexpected places, and fly right into her hands. That doesn't happen for me, and if it did it would freak me out because I am scared of butterflies. God knows what we need, even when we don't.

God reaches me in different ways, but most often through people and nature - especially mountains. So when I feel lost, confused and in general need of answers from the universe, I usually seek out a mountain. The problem with Singapore is that it is ridiculously flat and there are no mountains. And also it's 90 degrees with 100% humidity so while there are some hills it's really much too hot to climb them anyway. And because this is an especially challenging time in my life, I needed a BIG mountain, and one preferably far from here. So the highest peak in Europe seemed like a good spot.

I don't know if I'll have any epiphanies. I do know I'll get fresh air, lots of exercise, beautiful views, good food and some crazy company. And I think I'll come out of it with more clarity. Right now, my heart just feels so broken and confused. I'm waiting for it to tell me what it wants - waiting for my heart to speak its truth. I've found that when your heart speaks truth, it's after it has reached an understanding with God/the universe. So I'm hoping that my heart will reach an understanding with the universe on this trip - or at least get a little closer.

No comments: