Sunday, December 21, 2014

Letting go

After 6 years of paying for a Verizon wireless service just so I could have a US-based phone that I use for about 10 days out of the year, I finally cancelled my account. It's a small thing, but it feels very final - like I'm consciously admitting that the US is not my home anymore. As long as I had a home and a phone number in the US, I could still claim it as home. But no longer.

I'm also putting my condo in SF up for sale. The first home I ever owned, my little piece of pie in the sky in my beloved hometown. I feel pretty sure I'm doing the right thing, but that doesn't make cutting my remaining ties to the bay area any easier.

It might seem a bit drastic, but really it all just makes financial sense. And it's also a sign of me coming to terms with the fact that my one-year stint abroad that started in Tokyo is no longer "2 years away, at MOST!". I've been gone for 6 years, I'm on my third city in Asia and there's really no plan in the horizon to move back to SF anytime soon. That being said, life has taught me that the only thing that's certain is that nothing is certain. God has his own plans - plans that I usually can't fathom - and one thing I've learned is that God's plans for me are bigger than my own plans for me.

2014 has been the most difficult year of my life so far - I will be so happy to put it behind me. But all along, God was there - in little and big ways, he'd remind me of his presence. Whether it was bringing me to my knees, reminding me that he is there and he is good, or giving me just the amount of grace I needed to keep going - God is there, waiting.

So in 2015, I have only one resolution: to let go and let God. Which from my current vantage point, seems so obvious, since we never had control anyway.

No comments: