Wednesday, January 15, 2014

On Starting Over...Again

Five years ago, I arrived in Tokyo with two suitcases with only a faint memory of how to speak Japanese from 3 semesters in college. I spent a year trying to figure out how things and people work in Japan and while I loved certain aspects, on the whole, Japan killed my soul with its oppressive societal norms and I got out just before I reached my mental and emotional breaking point.

Three and a half years ago, El Hombre and I arrived in Hong Kong with only our backpacks - no housing, no jobs, and just two friends in town. We've figured out how things and people work in Hong Kong and while we hate certain aspects, on the whole, Hong Kong is a fabulous and amazing place to live and we've loved living here. This city has become mine and I have become part of the ever-changing fabric of people that makes up this truly international city.

And now, now that this city and its streets have become truly mine, have started to truly feel like Home, it's time to move on. Move on to a new city and start all over again.

There are all the immaterial yet critical things we have to figure out - how to get set up with electricity, water, gas, cable, internet, phone; where to go grocery shopping for the ingredients we need; finding a hairstylist, manicurist, wax place, handyman, painter, etc. More importantly, we have to start all over in building a community of friends, because at the end of the day, your friends and community are what make a place a home.

As I go into my last week in Hong Kong as a resident, I feel a mixture of anticipation, excitement, longing, satisfaction, nervousness. Anticipation and excitement at the opportunity of living in a whole new city and discovering all it has to offer. Longing for Hong Kong, even though I haven't even left yet  - specifically, longing for my Hong Kong - the things, people and places that made this place home for me. Satisfaction that we lived a fabulous 3.5 years in Hong Kong - I think I can say that on the whole, I lived life to the fullest and I have no regrets about anything in Hong Kong. And nervousness at having to start all over again. Again.

No comments: