I reserve the right to change my mind given how extremely fickle I am, but I think that this will be my last year as a food writer/critic. I'm going to retire from the gig after this year. I realized that it doesn't bring me as much enjoyment as it used to - the overeating, gluttony, fancy pants meals, writing about food. The food I actually like to eat is simple: organic ingredients, fresh vegetables, dairy (yogurt, cheese and ice cream), the occasional moderate piece of meat or fish, and every now and then a really good baked item or dessert. This week I decided to take a break from reviewing and have been eating clean at home - salads, salads and more salads. And I feel so much better and to be quite honest, I think a really good salad is so much more gratifying than braised pork belly or a ginormous steak or even an elaborate kaiseki meal. I always wanted to be a food writer/critic when I was younger - I've done it now for four years and while it has been an amazing blessing and experience, it's time to set my sights on a new hobby and goal. I'm still trying to figure out what that will be though.
No comments:
Post a Comment