Sunday, July 14, 2013

Finn Hudson

I'm still in shock that Cory Monteith, aka Finn Hudson, is dead. His death made me realize just how much Glee has meant to me, and how Finn and Rachel are so central to that. Glee is not just a TV show - it has literally been an eye-opening social changer, redefining what it means to be "normal" in America. Real life doesn't happen in song and dance, but Glee makes us wish so much that it does. But more than that, even though real life isn't as dramatic, or comedic, or melodic as Glee is, I think Glee fans fundamentally relate to the Glee characters: the teenage angst, the raging hormones, the heartbreak of unrequited love and the jubilation of requited love, the ties of friendship, the hopefulness of youth.

And Finn Hudson embodied all of that in such a fundamental way. He was the heart of the show, and I can't imagine it without him. We'll never see Finn Hudson and Rachel Berry have a future together. We'll never see Finn Hudson getting his teaching degree and come back to Lima High as a teacher (which he was so well suited for). It may sound really stupid, but I feel devastated that Finn Hudson's life was so abruptly cut short.

I don't know what types of inner demons Cory Monteith battled, but it is so sad to see such a promising life cut short at a young age. Cory Monteith/Finn Hudson - rest in peace. You will be missed by so many fans.

No comments: