I'm back in America, and it feels so good. Kind of.
I arrived at LAX and could not help but thinking: what are we stuck in the 80's?? The ugly decor, the outdated everything, the pure inefficiency of the immigration and customs lines. Please enter the modern age soon, US airport authority. After living in HK and traveling through Asia (well, with the exception of Bali, which is atrociously inefficient), I take electronic immigration lines (in and out in 30 seconds), immediate baggage on arrival and zero customs wait for granted.
But notwithstanding how outdated and inefficient many things in the US are, it is SO beyond wonderful to breathe in FRESH AIR that smells like trees and morning dew and often like nothing at all (rather than the smog, smoke, car exhaust, garbage and incense odors that permeate the air in HK at all times), drive (even though I hate driving in LA traffic, there's just something nice about driving with the radio on), hear normal American English everywhere around me, see wide open streets and trees, and eat fresh veggies that are not boiled or cooked in pork fat (I've been eating salads, salads and more salads - can't get enough fresh veggies! Of course, I supplement this with American baked goods - sourdough bread, blueberry muffins, etc.). I love how America is so...American.
There's never enough time when I'm back in America - not enough time to spend time with friends and family, not enough time to soak in the fresh air, not enough time to shop for everything I want/need and miss while living in Asia, not enough time to eat everything I want or try all the new restaurants I want, not enough time to soak in the Americanness of everything. But I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to come back to visit the US as often as I do, and for that I am very very grateful to baby Jesus.
I arrived at LAX and could not help but thinking: what are we stuck in the 80's?? The ugly decor, the outdated everything, the pure inefficiency of the immigration and customs lines. Please enter the modern age soon, US airport authority. After living in HK and traveling through Asia (well, with the exception of Bali, which is atrociously inefficient), I take electronic immigration lines (in and out in 30 seconds), immediate baggage on arrival and zero customs wait for granted.
But notwithstanding how outdated and inefficient many things in the US are, it is SO beyond wonderful to breathe in FRESH AIR that smells like trees and morning dew and often like nothing at all (rather than the smog, smoke, car exhaust, garbage and incense odors that permeate the air in HK at all times), drive (even though I hate driving in LA traffic, there's just something nice about driving with the radio on), hear normal American English everywhere around me, see wide open streets and trees, and eat fresh veggies that are not boiled or cooked in pork fat (I've been eating salads, salads and more salads - can't get enough fresh veggies! Of course, I supplement this with American baked goods - sourdough bread, blueberry muffins, etc.). I love how America is so...American.
There's never enough time when I'm back in America - not enough time to spend time with friends and family, not enough time to soak in the fresh air, not enough time to shop for everything I want/need and miss while living in Asia, not enough time to eat everything I want or try all the new restaurants I want, not enough time to soak in the Americanness of everything. But I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to come back to visit the US as often as I do, and for that I am very very grateful to baby Jesus.
3 comments:
happy new year!
oh whoops, forgot to sign. --g :)
G - happy new year to you too!! I miss you girl! El Hombre and I went to visit Tokyo a few weeks ago and being back reminded me so much of you - miss our Tokyo days together! Hope to see you in person soon to catch up.
Post a Comment