Saturday, November 17, 2012

Double Three

In past years, I've celebrated my birthday with a bit of fanfare, but this year I wanted to keep it low key. Not sure if it's because it's my first birthday as a married ajumma...but I suspect that it's more because these days, just the thought of going out makes me tired and holds zero appeal! I'm happiest spending one on one time with friends over a quiet dinner or on a hike, or cooking dinner at home for El Hombre. I've officially entered ajumma-hood.

El Hombre surprised me with the perfect birthday gift today - a weekend trip to Taipei. He told me to pack an overnight bag but otherwise refused to give me any details. I thought maybe a staycation in Kowloon or a semi-staycation in Macau, but then we headed to the airport! A couple of episodes of "The New Girl" later, we landed in Taipei. I've been to Taipei twice before, but I didn't fall in love with the city until today. Taipei - what a city!! I could totally live here. It's full of delicious food, funky and cute cafes and stores, endless patisseries and bakeries, night markets and awesome bookstores that open 24 hours a day! Plus the air is clean, people are super nice, service is great and the pace of life is just kind of perfect. It's exactly my kind of city - so much so that I made El Hombre stop to look at some real estate listings, just for kicks.

I usually use my birthday to reflect on the past year and what I'm thankful for - I'll have to do that in another post soon. But one thing I am thankful for - an incredibly thoughtful and considerate husband who knows just what I like, and knows how to create lovely experiences that become wonderful memories. I'm a lucky girl!

No comments: