We did it! El Hombre and I are married. We’d been together
almost 5 years and lived together almost 2 years, so I didn’t think it would
feel that different, but actually, it really does. Being married has so much
more…weight, in a good way. I feel so much more committed and solid with El
Hombre, even though not much changed other than signing a legal piece of paper
(oh yeah, and those vows about forever in front of 60 of our closest friends
and family). I LOVE being Senora El Hombre.
I knew it before, but I feel even more confident about it
now – El Hombre is the perfect man for me. No one else truly understands how I
think or how I feel (except maybe my brother), especially when it comes to the
complex feelings I have towards my parents. When I was younger I used to tell
my grandmother and closest friends that I didn’t think I could marry someone
from a normal, unbroken family because I didn’t think such a person could ever
understand me – how it feels to be raised in a broken family with parents who
never keep their promises, put you in uncomfortable situations, don’t know what
it means to be a mother or father but expect you to revere them as such. While
his family dynamics were not exactly the same as mine, El Hombre had a somewhat
similar childhood, and I think that, more than anything, is what allows us to
fundamentally understand each other emotionally. Because as I get older, I
realize that as much as friends try to understand and empathize with you, most
people cannot understand the dark, complex emotions I have towards my parents,
and how that shapes how I think about love, marriage and family.
Which is why I am so thankful to God & the universe for
bringing El Hombre into my life – someone who so fundamentally gets me. During
our wedding weekend, my uncle (who was my legal guardian for a couple years in
high school and gave the prayer at our wedding) told El Hombre and me that he
wished us a happy marriage, one that broke the pattern of our families. With El
Hombre, I actually believe it’s quite possible that we have a chance – at a
happy, solid, lifelong marriage, an unbroken family. I don’t think either of us
have any illusions about marriage – we know it’s hard work, we’ve seen it fail
in our families again and again, and seen how much hurt can be caused. Because of how our parents’ failed
marriages (and ensuing actions/mistakes) hurt us growing up, we’re willing to
work harder to make sure we don’t repeat the mistakes of our parents so that our
children will have normal, happy childhoods (albeit with a self-confessed
future tiger mom).
***
I know it’s totally cliché, but my wedding day was the best
day of my life. When else do you get to ask all of your loved ones to gather
together to eat, drink and celebrate with you? If ever I was thankful to Baby
Jesus for my life, it was during my wedding week. It was the week during which
everything I wanted came together in one amazing experience – to be honest, the
things that happened during my wedding week made me believe in miracles and
prayer – not the grandiose miracles of Biblical times when water turned into
wine, but the smaller miracles of our time, the things that make you realize
that life is not just all random or coincidental.
First, as soon as I arrived in Bali and opened my emails,
two of my prayers were answered – I received an offer to go in-house with a
great company in my ideal role, and the potential tenants my brother found for
my condo had signed a lease and transferred the deposit (my condo had been
sitting empty for a month and I had begged my brother and prayed to God that a
new tenant would be found before by brother left for Asia, since that would
mean at least another 2-4 weeks of no rent). Those had been my two biggest
worries in the last month. When
God answered those two prayers (while I was en route to my wedding
destination), I knew that the wedding would all work out perfectly.
The Friday before our wedding was gray and overcast with a
forecast of potential rain on our wedding day. My family was worried and asked
if I had a contingency plan but I brushed their concerns away because I knew
for a fact that the weather would clear up and be perfect. And it was. The only
slight hiccup was when my mom got caught in Bali’s awful traffic and was 30
minutes late to the wedding. Our wedding coordinator told me that the officiant
and string trio could wait another ten minutes, but that they’d have to start
the ceremony if my mom didn’t arrive by then. My bridesmaids who were waiting
with me can attest – I had been stressing out and watching the front gate of
the villa for my mom’s arrival, but finally I decided I needed some divine
intervention and said a quick prayer. Literally the second I ended the prayer,
my mom’s taxi entered the driveway.
I won’t go into all the
details or everything that made the day amazing, but it was the best day of my
life. Not just because I was finally able to realize my dream of going on
vacation with all of my closest friends and family, but because I got to do it
with El Hombre, and because it was the start of our lives together – I feel so
much more confident about the future knowing that I get to go through it with
El Hombre as my partner. Life is good. Thanks God.
3 comments:
love this post. great to hear how perfect your day was. go God! :) -mj
congrats! sorry that we missed it, but so glad to hear that you had a fabulous time. i was surprised to read your mom was there and glad that things worked out. and congrats on the new job offer! i can't believe you're going in house. oh man, so much to catch up on! for now, congrats again!! --g :)
:D everything looks lovely in the pics and you looked beautiful! thankful your mom made it in the nick of time! whew!
- gus
Post a Comment