Thursday, February 23, 2012

Weekend getaway

Finally - I'm getting out of HK for the weekend. I've been in HK consecutively for 6 weeks now, which I think may actually be a record for me. That may sound abnormal if you live anywhere else in the world, but when you live in HK, leaving the city at least once a month is fairly average. You can't live in this overcrowded, polluted, sensory-overloaded city without any breaks without getting a little bit antsy. But now that my bronchitis has mostly gone away and I'm off my antibiotics (which I think made me a little crazy) and I went hiking last weekend, my crazy aggro attitude towards HK is gone. Thank goodness.

But I think my love for HK has cooled quite a bit as well. Previously I thought I'd want to stay here for at least another 2-3 years, mostly because the career & economic mobility is so much better in HK than it is in the US. But these days I feel like I could leave HK anytime and be fine with moving back to the US. I'd definitely miss HK, and it will always have a fond place in my heart (unlike Tokyo, which still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth), but I think I'd be happy to move back home to the US anytime.

***

I'm headed to Kota Kinabalu for a 40 hour vacation - don't have much planned other than sitting on the beach, snorkeling and eating good Malaysian food, but I'm thankful to be getting out of the city for at least a couple days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds nice, have fun! we are doing a weekend getaway too, to carmel for some golf and relaxation. and glad you are feeling better finally! --g =)