Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Snow Child

40 hours in Malaysia, 4 books, 1 movie, 9 hours of sitting by the pool under the glorious sun with fresh air, 1/2 hour run and 1 relaxing spa treatment later, I feel refreshed. After a weekend of R&R, I was even happy to come back to this super-fast, super-efficient, super city of mine.

I've started out 2012 with a ton of reading - 15 books and counting so far, but the best and most memorable book I've read so far this year is The Snow Child. I downloaded it just before my trip because Amazon recommended it based on my prior purchases and couldn't put it down. Even though I was sitting poolside under the warm sun in Kinabalu, the book transported me to cold, snowy winters in Alaska. It is a magical fairytale of a book - beautifully written with a lovely and haunting storyline.

While flipping through channels last night, L and I came across Blue Valentine, which is probably one of the most depressing romantic dramas I've ever watched. I thought the acting by Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams was excellent, but the plot - essentially the deterioration of love and the sad unraveling of a marriage - is seriously depressing.

No comments: