Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fantasy Life

While having breakfast with P and J in NY, we discussed the subject of what our fantasy lives would be (if we could be anything). P said she would be a beach or mountain bum. I said at the time that I would be a French woman - not sure why I said it at the time, except that I had walked past some French women while shopping in NY and admired the way they were so effortlessly chic (although J pointed out that French women, more than any other women in the world, spend more money and more time attaining the "effortlessly chic" look). But I'd like to change my answer. If I could be anything or anyone in this world, I'd be Beyonce.

This isn't as out of left field as it sounds - first of all, I adore Beyonce. I think her music is awesome, I think she's the ultimate performer (she never lets down her guard and fails miserably at being a celebrity, like Britany Spears did), I love her style and her grace, I think she's incredibly beautiful and sexy and cute and approachable all at once, and most of all...she can MOVE that body of hers in such an amazing way. Second, I saw Beyonce live in Tokyo last year and was absolutely smitten with her - she is such an amazing performer - she does her best to put on a show for her fans and I appreciate her dedication and hard work. Finally, I just watched the video of her "I Am...Live" concert (including behind the scenes shots), and that just clinched it - in my fantasy life, I would be Beyonce. Because she's just so damn fabulous and beautiful and talented and gracious and charming and because she can move that booty of hers.

***

When I arrived in HK, I felt in a small way that sense of coming home. I think mostly that has to do with the fact that El Hombre is here, but not so much with HK itself. I was so happy to be home, to sleep in my own bed, to reconnect with El Hombre. But as soon as we went outside to eat lunch and run errands, I immediately started getting nauseated. Although I'm sure it mostly has to do with jetlag, I do think that HK is one of the worst places to have jetlag -ever. The smog, crowds, funky smells, dirt...they just aggravate the already nauseated feeling of jetlag.

Although I was happy to come back home, now that I've left NY, I miss NY. My last day in NY was so pleasant - just hanging out and walking around with P, drinking cocktails in the middle of the day in the West Village (the only neighborhood in NY I truly love), walking around aimlessly, eating street food, just BEING. It's my idea of a perfect day (it would only have been more perfect if W could have joined us and the weather wasn't so crappy). It was exactly what I needed - to feel refreshed, revived, reconnected. Lately in HK, I've been feeling that work is killing my soul - there's so little of me that's still alive. Reconnecting with good friends was exactly what I needed to remind me of life's small joys.

No comments: