My body is physically rejecting the idea of getting on a plane to Asia. All day yesterday I felt a little bit off, as if I might be getting sick. Nine out of ten times, my body will fight the illness before it really begins and after just a day of feeling slightly out of sorts, I'll be back to normal. But last night, after the movers finally (at 8 pm) picked up my shipment for Tokyo, I could feel the illness kicking in full throttle. My body started aching, my head started throbbing, my back started hurting, my throat felt dry and itchy and my body started running a fairly hot-to-the-touch fever. I went to bed at 9 pm hoping a good night's sleep would cure it, only to ache all night and run a fever so high that when I woke up at one point, my clothes were completely drenched in sweat.
And so, since I don't want to feel like crap on the airplane and also fear that I might get quarantined at the airport (I'm pretty sure the walk through thermometer thing would go off when I passed through customs), I changed my flight to tomorrow, buying myself another 24 hours at home. 24 hours to still feel tangibly attached to the comforts of home, friends, family, El Hombre. In the grand scheme of things, I know 24 hours will not make a big difference, but for now I feel relieved to delay the deluge of sadness I know will wash over me as soon as I'm on the plane.
No comments:
Post a Comment