Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bienvenidos a Miami...errr, Bienvenue en Cote d'Azur

Cumulative Miles Traveled: 20,576
Current Location: Antibes, France
Current Mood: Anticipating El Hombre (l'Homme)

***
Bonjour! Or is it hola...the part of my brain reserved for languages is so confused today. The receptionist at my "dorm" in Antibes speaks Spanish and French but no English. The driver that picked me up at the airport speaks Icelandic, French and English. Everything here is in French, but the beach area (Juan les Pins) looks like a carbon copy of Miami. This morning I left Barcelona and my brain is accustomed to Spanglish but French is a whole new world. I keep saying "si" when I mean to say "oui."

Antibes/Juan les Pins is pretty...but we have our own version in the States - Miami! The resemblance to Miami is uncanny and funny. Of course, the difference is that everything here is in French, and we all know that French makes everything better!

After walking around for one hour it occurred to me that thinking that I would be able to go to French school for 6 hours each day in the French Riviera, when the weather is lovely and the beach is literally a 6 minute walk away from my residence, was tres stupid of me.

No comments: