Friday, March 21, 2008

Slight Detour

15 days after embarking on my world trip, I took a slight detour...home. Damn, was it really only 15 days? I know, pathetic.

What brought me back? The need for unlimited access to a hot shower or potable water? My Cal King size bed? A sale at Saks or Bloomie's? A craving for my gram's home cooking? My family? Work? Friends? Suddenly going broke due to the tanking of the US economy and the amazing fall of the US dollar? Nope.

It was...a boy. Or man, rather - El Hombre. When did I become that girl - the kind of girl that will put a kink in her life/plans for a guy? Hmm...I think when I met El Hombre. My friends and family were shocked/amused/appalled by my actions. I have to admit, even as I made the decision to come home for 4 days to spend time with El Hombre, it seemed completely impulsive, a bit insane and 100% unlike me. And yet it also seemed...like the most rational decision in the world because well, nothing has ever been so clear to me as this - El Hombre and I just...work. Being with El Hombre feels like the most correct thing I've ever done, relationship wise. It reminds me of how I felt at times while I was in law school in New York - that I was meant to be there - at NYU, in law school, in New York, with those friends. Because the situation not only makes you feel happy, but also truly content and fulfilled on all levels. I've always been skeptical of destiny and fate and all that other touchy-feely irrational stuff, but I honestly believe that if anything was ever meant to be...this is it. I never knew you could have such an amazing and intense connection on all levels (mentally, emotionally, physically) so quickly with someone. Being with someone should always be this easy and right, period. And at the risk of sounding completely head-in-the-clouds and losing any cred I have left as a complete cynic when it comes to matters of love & relationships: ever since El Hombre and I started dating it literally seems as if the heavens are conspiring to make it work. When we are together, things just...happen. From stupid things like always finding the perfect parking spot or the perfect romantic song suddenly playing to unpredictable things such as one seat (the very last) opening up on an overbooked flight to cheesy things such as all of the romantic moments that happened (all unplanned for and out of our control) during his visit to Antigua...there are signs everywhere. (I realize that I just lost my last shred of cred as a logic-driven cynic when I wrote that)

So as I prepare to return to my travels tonight I feel heavy-hearted that I mostly likely won't see El Hombre again for another 7 weeks but also 100% confident that if anything in my life was ever meant to happen, this is it.

1 comment:

Aubrey Andel said...

How romantic! Seems like you're having quite the journey...exploring new loves and new lands. If you get over to Arenal, they have a great zipline over there. A couple of the lines whiz you over a large waterfall with a blue lagoon.